Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Senior Project Proposal

Senior Project Proposal

Proposed Topic in the form of an  Essential Question: 
Does the way society portray women impact the way that girls feel about their appearance?
Rationale for Choice
What about this topic appeals to you? Why did you choose it? 
This topic appeals to me because it's interesting to see how people think and how easily affected we become by things like the media.
What do you already know about this subject? 
Many young teenage girls often go to extreme extents to look like these women. It's a very personal subject and although many seem to be happy with their appearance, deep down inside there is something that we truly dislike about ourselves. I've had people who were close to me go through so much just to look skinny or look pretty; they truly degrade themselves and do the craziest things ever.
What are you hoping to learn about the subject? 
I hope to learn why people do the things that they do. I want to learn why they feel as though they need to look like these artificial people and why they don't feel the need to love themselves just the way they are; or why people think that they don't look as good as they really do.
What are you most interested in regarding the topic? 
I'm interested in seeing how many girls have truly been affected by these portrayals and by media. I also am interested in seeing what other steps these girls take to look like those women.
What potential risks or challenges do you foresee for your project? 
Some challenges would probably be finding a place to volunteer for this topic, I might not be able to find some information that I might be looking for.

1 comment:

  1. I think you will find an abundance of information on this topic. There are so many articles that discuss both positive and negative effects of body image. As to volunteer work, let me consider this and get back to you.

    15/15

    ReplyDelete